Baptiste makes his debut on the Overwatch PTR shortly after the characters full reveal. Blizzard released a detailed origin story trailer which hinted at his abilities and what drives the latest Overwatch character.
Baptiste is a combat medic, ready to fill its role on the support side of the character select screen. Both capable in dishing out damage and keeping teammates alive, hero 30 is ready shake up the meta.
Blizzard Official Baptiste Story Trailer
From a turbulent time in the Overwatch lore, Baptiste chose a path that he would soon regret. This incredible origin story builds a complex layer beneath what is already an exciting new character. Blizzard has the spectacular ability to offer gamers so much more than just a new character to their first-person shooter. Each belongs in the Overwatch world for one reason or another. Baptiste is no exception.
The video below is the developer update, hosted by Jeff Kaplan where he reviews Baptiste origin story and offers insight into each of his abilities.
Jeff Kaplan Speaks About Hero 30 | Baptiste Breakdown
Baptiste includes some impressive abilities that are sure to change how teams approach situations. Come take a closer look at each:
- Primary Weapon: The Biotic Launcher is a medium range, three-round burst rifle. It has a secondary fire mode that launches a grenade that heals through splash damage. It cannot heal Baptiste himself but can heal as many teammates that are standing in its blast radius.
- Exo Boots: Baptiste uses his Exo Boots to charge up a jump meter while crouched. When crouching and a player hits the jump button, depending on how much Baptiste’s jump meter has been charged, he will leap high into the air.
- Regenerative Burst: This is a heal-over-time ability that affects everyone, including Baptiste, in the immediate area around the new combat medic.
- Immortality Field: When this high-tech device is deployed, it creates a cylinder around the device. Teammates that are within this field can still be damaged but cannot drop below 20% health. The UI will even alert the enemy team that those players within the Immortality Field are immune to damage. The device itself can be destroyed which puts an end to this powerful shield ability.
- Baptiste’s Ultimate, the Amplification Matrix: To help his team deal massive amounts of damage, Baptiste’s Ultimate ability spawns a wall that his teammates can shoot through. The ability will “significantly” increase all damage dealing abilities as well as any healing effects that pass through the Amplification Matrix.
Blizzard is doing a great service to all Overwatch healers by adding to the support options. Adding Baptiste and all of his unique abilities is sure to galvanize the game for both casual and competitive Overwatch gamers. As stated above, Baptiste is available now on the PTR but no word on when hero 30 will make his way onto PS4, Xbox One, or regular PC servers. Be sure to check back on GigamaxGames.com for more gaming news every week and stay up-to-date with the latest Overwatch has to offer.